Mr. Dennis Yong » Intra-District Transfer

Intra-District Transfer

Welcome to Canyon High School! We take pride in knowing we respect each individual and celebrate diversity on our campus. We want nothing more than to make your child’s high school experience a great one! We also respect your family’s decision to ask for a school transfer; should you wish to continue with the process, please contact us to make sure you are making the right decision for your student.


Intra District Transfers (IDT)


  • When a parent/guardian wishes to enroll their student at a Hart District school besides their school of residence, they will need to request an IDT, or Intra District Transfer. To do so, the family must reside within the boundaries of the William S. Hart Union High School District, in the Santa Clarita Valley.  If you reside outside of the Santa Clarita Valley, please click the button to the right for more information on requesting a transfer into or out of the Hart District.


Before requesting any transfers, please carefully review the information on this page.


Important Dates


  • The window to request an IDT for the 2024-2025 school year will open on Friday, March 1st, 2024.
  • IDT requests will not be processed between June 14, 2024 through July 7, 2024 to allow staff time off for summer break. During this period, you will be able to request a transfer but staff will not process your request until July 8, 2024.


Criteria for Requesting an IDT (Intra District Transfer)


The following criteria are pre-approved for requesting an IDT:


  • Documented harassment or victimization at your child’s neighborhood school. Documentation must be recorded in Infinite Campus (Hart District’s student information database)


  • Sibling Rule
A sibling is currently attending and will remain enrolled at the requested school
Siblings will attend high school together at some point in the future. Please note: the older sibling establishes the grounds for transfer under the sibling rule; the younger sibling can only follow the older sibling.
If the younger sibling does not attend high school together with the older at any point in the future, the sibling rule will not apply. For example, if the younger student is in 7th grade and the older student is in 11th grade, sibling rule will not apply since both siblings will not attend high school together. The sibling rule also will not apply in the case of an already-graduated older sibling.
  • A parent is a permanent William S. Hart Union High School District employee
  • Active Military Family (Documentation required)
  • Foster Youth student (Court documentation required)


FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions)


What if my transfer does not meet the above criteria?


  • If there are additional factors you would like considered, please contact Shellie Holcombe, Principal, at [email protected]


Please be advised it may take up to 72 hours for a response from Ms. Holcombe, as we are working with students and families to finish out the current school year. Response time during the summer may be longer as a result of staff vacation time.


Where can I appeal the principal’s decision?


  • The principal’s decision is final and cannot be appealed.


Please remember: students in the WS Hart District are expected to attend their school of residence based on our attendance boundaries.


What if my child has an IEP?


The William S. Hart Union High School District offers the following regionalized programs:

  • Special Day Class – Functional Academics
  • Special Day Class – Students with Emotional/Behavioral Needs
  • Special Day Class – Living Skills
  • Special Day Class – Autism High Functioning


Your child’s elementary or junior high school will schedule a matriculation IEP meeting in the spring. For students who require the support of a regionalized program, your student’s school placement will be determined at the time of the matriculation IEP and the appropriate paperwork will be completed at that time.


For students who qualify for Special Day Class – Core Curriculum or Resource Program, all comprehensive Hart District campuses offer both programs; requests for transfers for these programs are limited to our pre-established criteria above.


Requesting an IDT (Intra District Transfer): Step 1


The first step is to complete the request form linked below. You will receive an email within 5 to 10 business days after your form submission with next steps for completing the transfer application. Transfer requests not meeting the pre-established criteria will not be processed.


Please be advised the timeline for completing a transfer request varies based on the time of year.


Transfer form link below